Statin drugs cause more harm than good

To: ALL1 of 8
No matter how much I complain to my doctor, he still wants me to stick with statins and possibly go to a stronger one! He wants me to get my cholestrol down to around 150, but from what I read, the whole cholestrol thing is just hyped up by the medical profession.

My older brother had muscle damage to his legs because of taking statins so long. Now he can't walk too far or play golf. A friend of mine ended up in the hosptial with intense pains because of taking statins.

Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, has more disturbing news about statins and their side effects that are worse than the benefits of using them...

http://www.naturalnews.com/028988_statin_drugs_side_effects.html

Big Pharma lies about statin drugs finally exposed in British Medical Journal

To hear Big Pharma tell it, statin drugs are "miracle" medicines that have prevented millions of heart attacks and strokes. But a recent study published in the British Medical Journal tells a completely different story: For every heart attack prevented by the drug, two or more people suffered liver damage, kidney failure, cataracts or extreme muscle weakness as a result of taking the drug.

Statin drugs, in other words, harm far more people than they help.

Julia Hippisley-Cox and Carol Coupland led the study which examined data from over two million patients, including over 225,000 patients who were new statin drug users.

They found that for every 10,000 women being treated with statins, there were only 271 fewer cases of heart disease.

And yet, at the same time, the statin drugs caused 74 cases of liver damage, 23 cases of acute kidney failure, 39 cases of extreme muscle weakness and 307 cases of cataracts.

Statin drugs, in other words, helped 271 people but harmed 443 people. This demonstrates how they are wreaking havoc with the health of those who take them, causing damage that far outweighs any benefit they might offer.

Big Pharma's highly deceptive advertising implies that statin drugs help everyone who takes them. So if 10,000 people took the drugs, we're promised, heart attacks would be prevented in all 10,000 people. That's the implied message in the drug ads, anyway.

But this is just a wild exaggeration and distortion of the facts. Most drugs don't work on most people, and statin drugs only "work" on about 2.7% of those who take them. Yet they cause serious damage in about 4.4% of those who take them.

So if you take statin drugs, your odds of benefiting from them is less than 3 out of 100. But your odds of being harmed by them are more than 4 out of 100. For 96 out of 100 people, statin drugs do nothing except make the drug companies rich and pollute the waterways every time you flush the toilet.

Statin drugs, then, are basically a crap shoot with your health.

Keep the pharma profits rolling

From the point of view of Big Pharma, they have the added benefit of causing other diseases that often result in yet more drugs or medical procedures being prescribed. Kidney dialysis makes big money for hospitals, by the way. It's a multi-billion-dollar business all by itself. Statin drugs are therefore a way for the sick-care industry to recruit new patients into kidney dialysis, knowing that some percentage of statin drug users are going to end up with full-blown kidney failure.

What's really interesting about all this is how easy it is to fool doctors into prescribing statin drugs. Doctors mistakenly think these are miracle drugs, but they're never read the research. They've been convinced by drug reps, misleading medical journal articles and Big Pharma advertising -- and they bought it!

Mainstream doctors, you see, are perhaps the most gullible people on the planet. They'll gladly prescribe a drug that harms more people than it helps -- by the millions -- because they can be almost effortlessly swayed into pushing poison pills through "science babble" language used by drug companies to promote their pills.

Doctors are literally walking around today thinking statin drugs are such miracle lifesavers that some doctors openly talked about dripping the drug into the public water supply! That's how convinced they are about the drug's benefits. They think everyone should be taking statins whether they need them or not!

It's downright loony. But that's characteristic of western medicine, isn't it? Proclaim your poison to be "miracle medicine" while utterly ignoring the truth that those drugs harm far more people than they help (and they simply don't work on more than 90% of people who take them).

The statin scam

Statin drugs are a scam, plain and simple, and the doctors who prescribe them are puppets used by Big Pharma to sell high-profit drugs to people who for the most part won't even benefit from them. That this research exposing the truth about statin drugs even appeared in the British Medical Journal is a minor miracle all by itself, by the way. But it does indicate that the wall of lies constructed about statins by Big Pharma is starting to crack.

If the truth about statins were openly known, the drugs wouldn't be prescribed to anyone, and drug companies would be sued for billions of dollars for their false advertising and marketing manipulations.

Until that happens, just remember this: Any doctor who recommends a statin drug is a con man drug pusher. If they don't have the honesty to research the truth about these drugs and stop prescribing them, they certainly cannot be trusted with your health. If they're pushing statin drugs on you, they're really just working for Big Pharma, not for you, and they're not interested in real science and the real impacts of drugs on patients.

It brings up another hugely important question in modern medicine: Why don't doctors have the capability to question the false beliefs of their own industry? As you might have guessed, that's the topic of another story altogether.

Sources for this story include:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS...
To: ALL2 of 8
There have been a lot of problems with statin drugs causing muscle pains and related symptoms. My doctor wants to keep me on them, but I feel there is a more natural way to keep the cholesterol down, like niacin.

Here's from a site I just Googled...

quote:

Myositis (Muscle Inflammation)...Check the Meds!

Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR

Lipitor is a member of a class of cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins. The statins include lovastatin (brand name: Mevacor), simvastatin (Zocor), pravastatin (Pravachol), fluvastatin (Lescol), atorvastatin (Lipitor), and cerivastatin (Baycol) (Baycol was withdrawn from the market in August 2001). Statin drugs are known to cause muscle pains and inflammation around the muscle cells (myositis). It should also be noted that the risk of muscle injury is greater when a statin is combined with other drugs that also cause muscle damage by themselves. For example, when lovastatin (Mevacor) is used alone to lower cholesterol, muscle damage occurs on the average in one person out of about every 500. However, if lovastatin (Mevacor) is used in combination with other drugs such as niacin, gemfibrozil (Lopid), or fenofibrate (Tricor) to further reduce cholesterol levels, the risk of muscle injury skyrockets to one person out of every 20 to 100 who receive the combination. The risk of muscle damage is thus multiplied five- to 25-fold by using a combination of a statin and another cholesterol-lowering drug rather than by just using statin alone.

In fact, the manufacturers of statins recommend that any patient taking a statin "should be advised to report promptly any unexplained muscle pain, tenderness or weakness...When a muscle disease is suggested, the doctor stops the statin drug."

You see, statin drugs cause three types of muscle conditions. First, they can cause muscle aching. This condition generally reverses itself within weeks of discontinuing the drugs. Second, they can cause muscle pains and mild muscle inflammation that may also be accompanied by minor weakness. Blood testing for the muscle enzyme, CPK, is mildly elevated. This condition also generally reverses, but it may take several months to resolve. Third, statins can cause severe muscle inflammation and damage so that not only are the muscles painful all over the body, they also become severely weakened. Heart muscle can even (rarely) become affected. Blood testing for the muscle enzyme, CPK, is markedly elevated. When the muscles are severely damaged, the muscle cells release proteins into the blood that collect in and can damage the kidneys. This can lead to kidney failure and require dialysis
To: ALL3 of 8
My doctor keeps on drilling home the point that I have to get my cholesterol level down to well under 200. He has had me on statins for years and last year I decided to go off of them until about a month before my blood work was due. My cholesterol level had gone back up to around 217, and he was pretty stern about making me do whatever necessary to get this lower.

I had already lost around 20 pounds and he wanted me to lose more! I was down to wearing jeans that hadn't fit me in years, my belt was adjusted to the tighest fitting and that wasn't enough! This year, I am not going to go back on the statins a month in advance. I will come loaded with articles (like the one below) that proves that the statins are not the answer and that even high cholesterol doesn't foretell a future heart attack. In fact, I've read articles about how in countries with low cholesterol have a higher heart attack rate than countries high in cholesterol.

Big Pharm and the medical industries are making billions upon billions with the selling of these harmful drugs. It's time to stand up and protect our own health by making healthy lifestyle choices instead of taking the pill.

This is the the Natural News web site...

http://www.naturalnews.com/030438_statin_drugs_heart_disease.html

Statin drugs are over prescribed in healthy people who have no evidence of heart disease

Thursday, November 18, 2010
by: S. L. Baker, features writer

(NaturalNews) Mainstream medicine has been calling for more and more people to be placed on "miracle" drugs known as statins that lower cholesterol. There have even been suggestions that statins should be sold over the counter or given out free when people buy junk, fat-loaded fast food (http://www.naturalnews.com/029467_s...). After all, the rationale goes, by lowering cholesterol, arteries won't clog and heart attacks and strokes can be prevented.

However, there have long been two obvious flaws in that theory. For starters, high cholesterol along with most other cardiovascular risk factors can be lowered in most people naturally by lifestyle changes such as exercise, a healthy diet and keeping weight under control. Secondly, statins come with a host of dangerous and even deadly side effects, including liver damage, impaired brain function, sometimes irreversible muscle damage and eye disorders.

And now there's a third reason not to jump on Big Pharma's money making band wagon known as statin therapy. Johns Hopkins research just presented November 16th at the American Heart Association's (AHA) annual Scientific Sessions in Chicago, gives clear evidence these drugs are over-prescribed. In fact, pushing these drugs as "preventive therapy" for future heart attacks in healthy men and women who don't already have artery clogging calcium deposits is just plain bad medicine.

The new findings are from the Johns Hopkins-led Multi-Ethnic Study on Atherosclerosis, or MESA. The research was designed to be the first to pinpoint exactly who among the more than 6 million healthy American adults with normal blood cholesterol levels should be candidates for so-called preventive statin therapy.

According to results of the JUPITER trial (short for the Justification for the Use of Statins in Primary Prevention: An Interventional Tool Evaluating Rosuvastin) published in 2008, the statin drug rosuvastatin (sold and widely advertised on television as Crestor), was effective in preventing heart attack and stroke in some individuals, all of whom had high levels of C-reactive protein (CRP). But when the Johns Hopkins team checked these findings with a new investigation -- they came up with a dramatically different conclusion.

They selected MESA study participants, who met the same criteria used for the JUPITER study, from a pool of 7,000 ethnically diverse adults, including African Americans, Chinese Americans, Caucasians and Hispanics. All the 950 volunteers were monitored at Johns Hopkins and five other medical centers in North America.

The results showed that only the people with measurable buildup of artery-hardening calcium in their blood vessels had a high rate of heart emergencies over the course of the six year study. But almost half of the study participants had no detectable levels of calcium in their blood vessels and those people had a very low rate (about 5 percent ) of heart-disease related events -- meaning that taking daily statin drugs as a "preventive measure" wouldn't have offered any coronary protection. But taking the drugs would have exposed them to potentially serious side effects.

So, despite all the cholesterol measuring near-hysteria of past decades, the Johns Hopkins researchers are now calling for an emphasis on measuring coronary artery calcium deposits to find out who is really at risk of suffering a heart attack "It certainly is not the case that all adults should be taking it (statin therapy) to prevent heart attack and stroke, because half are at negligible risk of a sudden coronary event in the next five to 10 years," lead investigator Michael Blaha, M.D., a cardiology fellow at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and its Heart and Vascular Institute, said in a media statement.

And remember all the media hype claiming that high levels of CRP in the blood are predictive of a future heart attack? Participants in the Johns Hopkins study were found to have varying blood levels of the inflammatory byproduct, which has been called a predictor of all kinds of coronary disease. But it turns out, according to the new research, that's not true either. In fact, an elevated CRP score at or above 2 milligrams per liter offered no predictive value after established risk factors were taken into account, including age, gender, ethnicity, hypertension, blood cholesterol levels, obesity, diabetes, smoking and a family history of heart disease.

Bottom line: the new statistical comparison of results showed that few if any heart attacks or strokes would have been prevented within five years had anyone in the study taken statin drugs, unless there was already some calcium buildup in their blood vessels. But even in people with moderate calcium buildup, only one heart attack would have been averted in every 94 people treated, and one stroke in every 54.

"Statin therapy should not be approached like diet and exercise as a broadly based solution for preventing coronary heart disease. These are lifelong medications with potential, although rare side effects, and physicians should only consider their use for those patients at greatest risk, especially those with high coronary calcium scores," study co-investigator and cardiologist Roger Blumenthal, M.D., a professor and director of the Ciccarone Preventive Cardiology Center at Johns Hopkins, emphasized in a press statement.

He also pointed out that as many as 5 percent of people on statins develop serious side effects, such as muscle pain. In addition, one in 255 will develop diabetes because of the drugs.
To: ALL4 of 8
Just Google this phrase: High Cholesterol Levels Don't Cause Heart Disease and you will find hundreds of scientific articles proving that high cholesterol doesn't necessarily result in a heart attack. In fact, it may even prevent it!

Big Pharm has the doctors working with them in spreading these lies about high cholesterol and the prescribing of statins to reduce the levels in patients. Even healthy, young people are now being prescribesd these poisons that could eventually kill them or cause muscle problems.

If you are considering taking statins at the suggestion of your doctor, please read the following...

http://ezinearticles.com/?High-Cholesterol-Levels-Dont-Cause-Heart-Disease&id=2454837

High Cholesterol Levels Don't Cause Heart Disease

By Stan Mrak

The fundamental cause of most cardiovascular problems is a condition called atherosclerosis, often referred to as "clogging" or "hardening" of the arteries. Most people, even doctors, believe that this is caused by having too high a level of cholesterol in your bloodstream, but if you examine all the statistics on heart disease in industrialized nations, this theory just doesn't hold up.

A comparison of different western cultures and their rate of heart disease will demonstrate that there is no correlation to cholesterol levels. Switzerland, where people have higher levels of cholesterol than any other European country, has one of the lowest rates of heart attacks of any industrialized nation. In Russia, which has a very high rate of heart disease, people have one of the lowest average levels of cholesterol of any nation.

The Cholesterol Myth

How did the medical and scientific community, and the public, come to align with such a hypothesis? You have to look at the power and influence of the pharmaceutical industry, which has spent over thirty years marketing very lucrative cholesterol-lowering drugs that promise to reduce your risk of heart disease. These drugs, commonly called statins, are the most widely prescribed and profitable drugs on the market.

High Cholesterol Levels are a Symptom - Not a Cause. Although an unusually high cholesterol level may be a symptom of problems somewhere in your body, it is not a cause of anything by itself, including atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Cholesterol is a waxy, fatty substance that is manufactured in your liver and by individual cells in your body. It is also found in foods, as we all know.

Because cholesterol is a fat, it doesn't mix with water, the primary component in your blood. To get the cholesterol from your liver to other parts of your body where it is needed, the cholesterol is wrapped in what are called lipoproteins, which transport it through your bloodstream.

There are several kinds of lipoproteins in your bloodstream. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) delivers cholesterol to your tissues. High-density lipoprotein (HDL) carries cholesterol back to your liver to be removed. You have probably heard these terms used when cholesterol is being discussed. HDL is often referred to as the "good" cholesterol and LDL as the "bad" cholesterol.

There Really is No Such Thing as Good or Bad Cholesterol. Your body needs cholesterol. Cholesterol is a vital component in your body's natural metabolic processes. Here are just some of the jobs that cholesterol does:

cholesterol makes and repairs cell membranes and the sheaths that cover and protect your nerves
cholesterol metabolizes vitamin D from sunlight and produces many essential hormones that regulate your body chemistry
cholesterol promotes a healthy nervous system
cholesterol is an essential component for the brain neurotransmitters that regulate brain function
cholesterol is used in your intestinal tract to aid proper digestion

As you can see, cholesterol is an critical element for your good health.

What Causes High Cholesterol Levels? It's Not the Cholesterol in Your Diet!

There are four main reasons why your cholesterol levels may be high:

Your liver is not processing lipoproteins efficiently; in which case, there is some underlying problem, unrelated to your dietary intake of cholesterol.
Your blood sugar levels are elevated due to a diet high in carbohydrates.
You may be genetically predisposed to having high levels. This is extremely rare.
And finally, the most likely reason: your arteries are under constant attack from free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive particles that can damage cells and tissue anywhere in your body. When free radicals attack your arteries, it leads to atherosclerosis and heart disease.

Free radicals are also an essential part of your body's natural defense system, but too many of them can be very harmful. Excess free radicals are caused by a poor diet, environmental stress factors and toxins. In your arteries, free radical damage to your arterial walls encourages the formation of cholesterol deposits and plaque, because your liver is producing more cholesterol in an attempt to repair the damage. This is what leads to higher levels of cholesterol, not high-cholesterol foods such as eggs and butter.

Prevention of Heart Disease

The best way to prevent heart disease is by eating a healthy diet rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants protect you from free radical attacks to your arteries. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals quickly enough so that your arteries will remain healthy, and the cholesterol in your blood will not form plaque.

Stan Mrak has had a passion for antiaging nutrition for over 30 years. Visit his website at www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com for the most practical and useful information on antioxidants anywhere. Discover how antioxidants hold the secret for staying young and avoiding degenerative diseases.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Stan_Mrak
To: ALL5 of 8
I have been off of statin drugs for a year now, to the exasperation of my doctor. I am going to find a new doctor just because of this as I don't want to put my health at risk for taking these chemicals that are dangerous to our system.

Here's more concern about statin drugs that are causing horrific side effects...

http://www.naturalnews.com/035131_statin_drugs_safety_warnings_muscle_pain.html

FDA mandates new safety warnings for statin drugs due to risks of memory loss, diabetes and muscle pain

Saturday, March 03, 2012 by: Tony Isaacs

NaturalNews) On February 28, federal health officials added new safety alerts to the prescribing information for statin drugs, citing increased risks of memory loss, diabetes and muscle pain. It is the first time the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has officially linked statins to cognitive problems like forgetfulness and confusion, though such problems have been reported for several years.

Statin drugs, which are widely known as cholesterol-lowering medications, are among the most widely prescribed drugs in the world with annual sales of tens of billions of dollars. In the United States alone, almost 32 million people regularly take statins. Despite the new warnings and several studies linking statins to increased incidences of a wide variety of health problems, FDA officials and some mainstream medical professionals said the new warnings should not scare people away from statins.

Dr. Amy G. Egan, deputy director for safety in the FDA's division of metabolism and endocrinology products, was quoted in a New York Times article as saying, "The value of statins in preventing heart disease has been clearly established. Their benefit is indisputable, but they need to be taken with care and knowledge of their side effects."

In the same article, Dr. Steven Nissen, chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, said that diabetic patients and even those who develop diabetes while taking statins should continue taking the medicines. According to Nissen, the new warnings "are not major issues" and should not "alter the decision-making process with regard to statins."

The questionable benefits and indisputable dangers of statin drugs
Although studies have indicated that statin drugs can reduce the risk of heart disease for some high-risk patients, their effectiveness, actions and touted benefits have become increasingly questionable. For example, a 2010 study published in the British Medical Journal found that statin drugs helped lower the risk of heart disease, averting 271 cases for every 10,000 high-risk patients treated. However, the same study also found that statin drugs significantly increase a person's risk of cataracts, muscle weakness, liver dysfunction and kidney failure.

Other studies and reports have indicated that statin drugs result in increased risks of potentially deadly irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias), diabetes, hypertension, peripheral neuropathy, or pain or numbness in the extremities like fingers and toes, heartbeats, elevated blood glucose, tendon problems and even cancer. Increased risks of arrhythmias, diabetes and muscle weakness are particularly worrisome, given statin drugs intended use to prevent heart disease. As Natural News reported January 12, 2012 in the article "Study - statin drugs linked to higher diabetes risk":

"Although statins are supposed to be helping our hearts, they may be doing just the opposite. The link between diabetes and heart disease is frighteningly strong. The official website for the American Heart Association says, 'Adults with diabetes are two to four times more likely to have heart disease or a stroke than adults without diabetes.'"

Statin drugs inhibit the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase, which plays a central role in the production of cholesterol in the liver. The theory is that lower cholesterol equates to better cardiovascular health, though there has been no proven cause and effect and the body needs a healthy amount of cholesterol. Arterial plaque and inflammation are much more likely culprits for heart disease.

Statins also inhibit natural production of Co-enzyme Q10 (CoQ10), which is vital to good health, particularly muscle health. One of the most important roles CoQ10 plays is helping the body's cells produce energy, particularly muscle cells. As it so happens, the largest and most important muscle in the body is none other than the heart.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.nytimes.com
http://www.naturalnews.com/034628_statin_drugs_diabetes_risk.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statin
http://www.tbyil.com/Lowering_Cholesterol.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q10
http://www.tbyil.com/Cholesterol_Statin_Discussion.htm
http://www.naturalnews.com/025566_drug_drugs_statins.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/030317_statin_drugs_liver_damage.html
To: ALL6 of 8
I have read so many negative reports about statins and how they do more harm than good. I have proof that they cause serious problems. My older brother has a hard time walking now because of years of taking them. A friend had to quit taking them because of the damage they caused. There are so many very serious side effects to taking statins, that I put my life more at risk by taking them as opposed to niacin and other more natural remedies.

Check out these articles...

Cheap B vitamin beats Big Pharma's Zetia cholesterol drug

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 by: E. Huff, staff writer

(NaturalNews) A recent study found that niacin, a form of vitamin B, is far more beneficial to heart patients with high cholesterol than is the popular cholesterol drug Zetia. Dr. Anthony DeMaria, a leading cardiologist and editor-in-chief of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology stated that the findings will eliminate Zetia from the preferred treatment options list.

Though Zetia is touted as being highly effective at reducing the levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), often called "bad cholesterol", niacin is much more effective at boosting the levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), commonly termed "good cholesterol".

Evidence reveals that niacin significantly reduces plaque buildup on arterial walls, improving blood supply to the brain, while Zetia, also known generically as ezetimibe, can slightly increase arterial plaque buildup. For this reasons, doctors and experts agree that niacin is the preferred choice in maintaining proper cholesterol levels and a healthy heart.

CONTINUED...

http://www.naturalnews.com/028080_Zetia_cholesterol.html

Statin Drugs Cause Muscle Damage Even After You Stop Using Them

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 by: David Gutierrez, staff writer

(NaturalNews) Cholesterol-lowering statin drugs may cause serious and long-term muscle damage that persists even after the drugs are halted, according to a new study conducted by researchers from Tufts Medical Center and the University of Bern, and published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

Researchers have known for some time that minor muscle aches and weakness, known as myalgia, occur in between 10 and 15 percent of patients taking statins, while more severe, persistent pain known as myopathy occurs in roughly 2 percent. In the current study, researchers performed muscle biopsies on 83 patients, 44 of whom were taking statins and also suffering from myopathy severe enough to interfere with exercise and daily activities. Twenty-nine of these patients were currently taking statins, while the other 15 had ceased using the drugs at least three weeks before.

CONTINUED...

http://www.naturalnews.com/027458_drugs_patients_statin.html

Statins Raise Prostate Cancer Risk of Obese Men

http://www.naturalnews.com/025218_cancer_risk_Prostate.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/025058_drugs_eye_disorders_health.html
To: ALL7 of 8
There's a new video up at Natural News about how statin drugs are a money making machine and how they don't actually lower your chances of getting a heart attack or stroke. In fact, this article and video talk about how people with low cholesterol are actually at a higher risk of heart disease than those with high cholesterol.

On top of that, there are the horrible side effects of taking statins for a long period of time. That's why I stopped taking them as my brother and a friend had some serious leg problems caused by taking statins.

http://www.naturalnews.com/040233_Statin_Nation_cholesterol_drugs_movie_trailer.html

Blockbuster documentary '$tatin Nation' reveals the great cholesterol cover-up; watch the trailer here

Wednesday, May 08, 2013
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger
Editor of NaturalNews.com

(NaturalNews) An amazing new film that questions the false medical narrative on statin drugs has just been launched on the Natural News video delivery platform. Called "$tatin Nation," the film features a dozen interviews with top medical doctors, authors and even patients who are now standing up and publicly questioning the medical myths we've all been taught about cholesterol and statin drugs.

Promising to expose the "Great cholesterol cover-up," $tatin Nation is a must-see film for anyone currently taking statin drugs or considering taking them.

Click here to watch the powerful preview trailer on Natural News.

http://programs.naturalnews.com/Statin_Nation__NN.htm

Cholesterol drugs are based on the intentional misreprentation of medical evidence

$tatin Nation is the first film to publicly question the Big Pharma narrative on statin drugs. It explores these three shocking facts that are now emerging in the medical literature:

1) People with high cholesterol tend to live longer

2) People with heart disease tend to have low levels of cholesterol

3) Cholesterol-lowering on a population level does not reduce the rate of heart disease

Huh? But your doctor told you exactly the opposite, right? That's because your doctor has been brainwashed or bribed by the drug companies that now generate $29 billion dollars a year from selling statin drugs.

Your doctor needs to see this film! Show him the trailer at:

Meet filmmaker Justin Smith

Justin Smith, the creator of $tatin Nation, is also the author of $29 Billion Reasons to Lie About Cholesterol. He has a degree in engineering and was a competitive cyclist before turning to research and filmmaking.

Here's some Q&A with Justin Smith:

Why did you make this film?

I have made this film out of sheer frustration with the current situation. To date, most of the information that people receive about this subject is provided directly or indirectly by the pharmaceutical companies. This information is heavily biased, of course, toward increasing company profits, with a disregard for peoples' health.

In the film, you raise some important issues concerning statin medications. How would you like people to react to this?

My approach, with this film, is to provide people with information to make better informed decisions about their own health. Each person should make a personal decision about the issues raised. I hope that the film will prompt more people to ask their doctor important questions like: if I take this cholesterol medication, how much longer might I live? This question is important because most people will not receive any life extension from statins. While statins may, in some cases, slightly reduce the risk of heart problems, at the same time statins also increase the risk for other serious diseases. So, overall there is usually no net benefit.

There is some evidence that cholesterol medications can be beneficial for middle-aged men who have already had at least one heart attack. However, the benefit here has got nothing to do with cholesterol lowering. It relates to the positive effects that statins can have on inflammation and plaque stabilization. In this situation, there is some life extension, but it is difficult to say how much. The life extension even here may still only be a few days or weeks and this, of course, has to be balanced against the adverse effects of statins.

In addition, there is a well established connection between low cholesterol levels and a shorter life span. So, even if the statin was beneficial during middle-age, the adverse effects are likely to drastically outweigh any positive effects as the person reaches old age.

Was the film commissioned / How was the film funded?

I desperately wanted to make this film and I knew that getting it commissioned would be difficult and time consuming. Therefore. I invested some money myself and managed to raise money from crowd funding.

In addition, I managed to build a crew of people who are also passionate about this subject and would be willing to work on a deferred payment basis. The crew have all been willing to defer their payment until the film is released.

Originally, I planned to go through the traditional route (festivals and commissioning editors etc.) once the film was finished. However, I am concerned that this might take several months to a year, possibly longer, and I have a burning desire to expose this issue as soon as possible.

Personally, I feel that the timing is right to present this information to people. I hope to gain the interest of a major broadcaster in the UK, in the United States, or elsewhere but in the meantime I plan to release the film online via video on demand.

Do you think that people can freely consume cholesterol-rich foods?

Well, the idea that saturated fats and cholesterol simply clog-up the arteries has never been proven scientifically. It was just an idea.

In addition, there are many fascinating facts, such as the foods that contain cholesterol also contain large amounts of the nutrients that we know protect the heart. We have been told to avoid cholesterol-rich foods, but these foods often contain antioxidants and high levels of vitamins that keep our arteries healthy.

Click here for full access to $tation Nation from Natural News.

To: ALL8 of 8
While this may not surprise everyone, it is newsworthy that a report indicates that around half the doctors are in league with big pharma for prescribing statins. Statins is what most doctors recommend patients who have higher than normal cholesterol. I am still in search for a more natural doctor as my doctor has been harping that I go back on statins, which I refuse.

http://www.naturalnews.com/042922_statin_drugs_Big_Pharma_corrupt_doctors.html

The new statin drug scam: Half the doctors on the recommendation panel have Big Pharma ties

Thursday, November 14, 2013 by: Tony Isaacs

(NaturalNews) Half of the doctors on the panel that recommended a whopping increase in statin drug use have ties to Big Pharma. This past Tuesday, the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology issued the first new guidelines in a decade for preventing heart attacks and strokes - guidelines which called for one-third of all adults to consider taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs.

Doctors claim the new guidelines will limit how many people with low heart risks are put on statins simply because of a cholesterol number. However, under the new advice, one-third of U.S. adults would meet the threshold to consider taking a statin, more than twice the 15 percent of adults who are recommended statins under current guidelines.

The justification for the panel having half its members with ties to Big Pharma: Ties between heart doctors and Big Pharma are so extensive that it is almost impossible to find a large group of doctors who have no industry ties. How reassuring!

The new guidelines for recommending statin drugs
In addition to continuing to target people with higher LDL cholesterol, the panel also recommended consideration of statins for:

- People who already have heart disease.

- People ages 40 to 75 with a higher estimated 10-year risk of heart disease.

- People ages 40 to 75 with Type 2 diabetes.

The high cholesterol myth exposed
For years, mainstream medicine and its doctors have been promoting high cholesterol as a dangerous cause of heart attacks in order to sell huge quantities of highly profitable, patented statin drugs. The truth is that high cholesterol is merely a marker for increased heart attack risk and not an actual cause.

The high cholesterol myth took a huge blow last year when renowned heart surgeon Dr. Dwight Lundell stepped forward to expose how embracing the high cholesterol myth was wrong and the harm that has resulted. Dr. Lundell stated that the recommendations to lower cholesterol as well as those to severely restrict fat intake "are no longer scientifically or morally defensible."

Dr. Lundell explained that the real culprit for heart disease was inflammation in our arterial walls and "injury and inflammation in our blood."

"Simply stated," Dr. Lundell said, "without inflammation being present in the body, there is no way that cholesterol would accumulate in the wall of the blood vessel."

See: http://www.naturalnews.com.

Dangerous statin drugs increase heart disease risks and more
The recommendations for increased statin use flies in the face of increased evidence of the harm that statin drugs cause - including harm to the very cardiovascular system they are supposed to protect. One of the worst effects caused by statin drugs is that they severely limit natural production of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). CoQ10 is vital for muscle health and longevity - and the heart happens to be one of the largest muscles in the body.

Statin drugs also interfere with the availability of vitamin K2 (menaquinone), which is essential for good cardiovascular health as well as healthy bones. Among other harms, statins have also recently been linked to decreased testosterone production and sperm counts.

In 2012, the FDA was finally compelled to mandate new warnings on statin drugs due to mounting evidence of memory loss, muscle pain and increased risk for diabetes - which would seem to call into question the new statin recommendations for diabetics.

In what should have been a final nail in the coffin for statin drugs, shortly after the FDA mandated warnings, a new study found that statin drug use leads to accelerated coronary artery and aortic artery calcification, both of which greatly contribute to cardiovascular disease and mortality.