Schools & youth sports see huge spike in Covid

To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 1 of 185
Remember last year when the experts and the President were saying that youth were practically "immune" to Covid? Well, not any more. In Erie County, WNY and the rest of the nation, kids under 19 are now fueling a huge spike in Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations. They say that all of the cases being reported here are ones who have not had the vaccination, and most of them are kids.

I'm not sure if this is because a lot of schools are now open, the youth sports, or the Covid variants, namely Covid-UK, which are causing his huge spike in cases among the youth. They are saying that a lot of the new cases is being driven by youth sports.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/education/schools-see-post-spring-break-covid-19-surge/article_e32d6790-9d5d-11eb-89f3-4b7a893e4be5.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Schools see post-spring break Covid-19 surge

Mary B. Pasciak

The post-spring break surge in Covid-19 cases in local schools surpassed the surge in early January, after the winter break, by 40% – and far more of the new cases were among students this time.

Students accounted for four out of five of the 220 new cases that public schools in Erie and Niagara counties reported on Monday, a Buffalo News analysis of state Health Department data shows.

Immediately after the winter break, students accounted for half of the new Covid-19 cases reported by schools.

Travel over spring break, coupled with overall pandemic fatigue, has driven much of the surge, experts say.

“People wanted to be done with this pandemic. They acted as though they were done with this pandemic,” said Dr. Thomas Russo, the chief of infectious diseases at the University of Buffalo’s Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

“But the virus is not done with us. The curves are blunted. But they’re disturbingly higher than I was hoping for.”

COVID cases are rising fast among young adults and school age children.

The Erie County Department of Health revealed new COVID school numbers Tuesday during a COVID news briefing.

“We have to worry about our kids. We have to play it safe,” said Dr. Gale Burstein, Erie County Health Commissioner.

COVID cases have spiked among pre-K through 12th grade at schools in Erie County.

Dr. Burstein says there were a little more than 500-cases reported in schools for the week ending Saturday.

BUFFALO, NY (WKBW) — COVID cases are rising fast among young adults and school age children.

The Erie County Department of Health revealed new COVID school numbers Tuesday during a COVID news briefing.

Dr. Gale Burstein, Erie County Health Commissioner, at Tuesday's COVID briefing.

“We have to worry about our kids. We have to play it safe,” said Dr. Gale Burstein, Erie County Health Commissioner.

COVID cases have spiked among pre-K through 12th grade at schools in Erie County.

Dr. Burstein says there were a little more than 500-cases reported in schools for the week ending Saturday.

County leaders saying these are "dramatic increases" in schools.

Burstein said the new cases are a “huge” jump from the week before and most of the cases were among students and not school staffers.

“Unfortunately I think the take home message is that there are multiple sources of infection for our youth and where ever they are — at home, in sports, at part time jobs — so we really have to be vigilant,” replied Burstein.

But a driving force behind the increase in younger COVID cases is youth sports.

The county health department says hockey accounted for 40-percent of paused teams. 24-teams are on pause with six on quarantine. 165 teams paused by ECDOH since February 1.

“We’re seeing a lot in hockey. We've been seeing lately outbreaks in dance studios, cheerleading, football, volleyball, basketball — there's no sport that is safe,” Burstein declared.

To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 2 of 185
With regard to your info, the entire Girl Lax team at my high school is now quarantined. I think the kids are not taking it seriously. I remember my hormones at that age, and I would be equally as guilty... LOL
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 3 of 185
The strange thing is that Cuomo finally relented and allowed some high school sports to start up again. Same with youth hockey and other sports. I think the CDC moved the "safe distancing" for school desks at 3 feet. Now it shouldn't be surprising then that so many in schools are now getting infected.

It isn't only the kids getting infected here in WNY, but people who haven't been vaccinated. They said that not one person who has been vaccinated has been hospitalized.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 4 of 185
I do believe the vax is working. 

The only good news is this flu is not as deadly to all ages like the Spanish flu was. 
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 5 of 185
Covid isn't actually a flu, but a manufactured bioweapon, in my opinion. I read that the pause in the J&J shot is really causing havoc in other countries, like in Africa. That was the only shot available, and now the people there don't trust getting that vaccine.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 6 of 185
I think canceling the J vax is stupid. Chances are better getting hit by lightning or seeing a Sabres win. Lol
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 7 of 185
I was posting to this and lost my post when I accidentally deleted the tab. LOL

Here's an article I read about that topic this morning:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/western-warnings-tarnish-vaccines-the-world-badly-needs/articleshow/82077579.cms

Western warnings tarnish vaccines the world badly needs

Safety worries about the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines have jeopardized inoculation campaigns far beyond the United States, undercutting faith in two sorely needed shots and threatening to prolong the coronavirus pandemic in countries that can ill afford to be choosy about vaccines.

With new infections surging on nearly every continent, signs that the vaccination drive is in peril are emerging, most disconcertingly in Africa.

In Malawi, people are asking doctors how to flush the AstraZeneca vaccine from their bodies. In South Africa, health officials have stopped giving the Johnson & Johnson shot, two months after dropping the AstraZeneca vaccine. And in the Democratic Republic of Congo, 1.7 million AstraZeneca doses have gone unused.

The sense of uncertainty deepened Wednesday when an advisory committee to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention delayed a decision for seven to 10 days on lifting a pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, saying it wanted more data on a rare blood clotting disorder. Those shots were halted Tuesday over concerns about the disorder, which emerged in six women, and on Wednesday the panel learned of two more examples.

Also on Wednesday, the European Union said it would not make any more purchases of the AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson vaccines but would pivot to relying solely on those, like Pfizer’s and Moderna’s, that are based on a newer technology and have not raised similar safety concerns.

To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 8 of 185
Based on my limited experience, Pfizer is not a bargain either. If not for my need to be vaxxed for my kid’s wedding, I would pass. Next time, I will take my chances.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 9 of 185
I thought you said that you had to get vaccinated for your school? Meanwhile, Pfizer now says we need to get a third shot within a year of out last shot. I guess we'll be getting these for the rest of our lives.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 10 of 185
The school job and my age were requirements to get the shot. School was not mandatory but I did need it for the wedding.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 11 of 185
I get my shot on Monday at Walgreens. Wish me luck! Not looking forward to adverse side effects...hopefully it will be similar to my first shot.

The trees are blossoming here and it's affecting my allergies. Sinuses are running wild and I've sneezed about 10 times on 4 occasions. LOL
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 12 of 185
I bet you would be ok. Since the first shot was fine, you will be ok.

I heard Massachusetts and New Hampshire are getting a foot of snow. If true, you will be living in an igloo I imagine. LOL

New Hampshire does not require masks anymore. Interesting.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 13 of 185
Isn't New Hampshire "Live Free or Die?" I guess they are going to put that to the test by not wearing masks.

No snow here. I hear they had some snow in the ski areas south of here.

It is a much colder weekend here than we've had earlier this month.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 14 of 185
It is supposed to be unseasonably cold this month here. Seeing as the planet has been here 4 billion years, how the heck can anyone say the weather is unseasonable? Just wondering.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 15 of 185
Probably they are referring to "unseasonable" from data collected they last 50 years or so. Taking the average temp for the day or week and comparing.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 16 of 185
Considering the planet has been around for 4 billion years, how can anyone say climate change is real??? The climate is always changing..
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 17 of 185
I wasn't talking about climate change, more like what they say in the weather report. For instance, Buffalo's average high today could be around 51, where our temp reached a high of 49. This isn't climate change, just what the weather reporters use to give us a perspective to what the usual temperature is this day.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 18 of 185
No prob. As long as it is not the white stuff, enjoy.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 19 of 185
Speaking about white stuff, they are predicting a late spring snow event here Tuesday night and Wednesday. There's even concern of power outages as heavy snow weighs down on branches and power lines.

Quote: 
Snow builds into the region late Tuesday evening and especially after midnight working northward across the Niagara Frontier and the Buffalo metro during the early morning hours of Wednesday.  Snowfall rates could increase especially just south and east of Buffalo during the morning.  Several inches of accumulation will be possible particularly across the higher terrain south and east.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 20 of 185
Do not worry. The windmills will be able to provide all the necessary power.