COVID Patients May Have Significantly Reduced Intelligence

To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 1 of 109
Wow! It keeps on getting worse with Covid. Not only "brain fog" but having Covid could seriously reduce one's intelligence. I saw a report last night about studies that showed how recovered Covid patients have actually reduced intelligence. I read studies about how the gray matter in one's brain actually gets smaller.

I've lost a lot of brain cells in my youthful drinking. I can't afford to lose any more! LOL

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/recovered-covid-patients-may-have-significantly-reduced-intelligence-suggests-large-study/

Recovered COVID Patients May Have Significantly Reduced Intelligence, Suggests Large Study

People who have previously been infected with COVID-19 and recovered may have significantly reduced intelligence, suggests a new study published in EClinicalMedicine. The research adds to a growing list of concerns about the long-lasting impact of COVID-19 on the body and brain, and suggests that long-term studies should begin immediately to assess just how severe the effects could be.

Conducted by Imperial College London, the study involved 81,337 people who took part in an online assessment as part of the Great British Intelligence Test. This is a clinically validated cognitive test that involves a series of short brain challenges, as well as a questionnaire to fill out. You can take the test yourself here.

Of these 81,337 people, some had previously had COVID-19 infection confirmed through testing but had not been hospitalized (N=326), and some had been hospitalized with severe COVID-19 (N=192). The results were taken to assess their cognitive ability, which was then compared to the overall sample to identify any lingering effects of COVID-19 infection.

After controlling for factors including age, sex, education, first language, and handedness amongst others the researchers discovered a decrease in cognitive deficits in those that had previously contracted COVID-19, which was further exacerbated by more severe cases. Those with respiratory symptoms scored more poorly on the test than those without respiratory issues, and there was a marked increase in deficits with those that went to hospital for their symptoms.  

While there may be many reasons for these results, the researchers extensively explored possible confounding factors, including pre-existing conditions and any ongoing COVID-19 symptoms, and found that controlling for these factors left the results relatively unchanged.

Lead researcher and scholar in long COVID Adam Hampshire posted a thread on twitter summarizing the findings.

“This isn't just about long covid – this compares people who had had covid with those who hadn't, regardless of ongoing symptoms. Most people who had had covid reported being recovered, but about 25% with confirmed covid reported ongoing symptoms (I.e., long covid),” tweeted Professor Christina Pagel, director of University College London’s Clinical Operational Unit, in another thread explaining the results.

“The cognitive deficits remained whether ongoing symptoms were there or not, and did not depend on time since covid either. This seems to suggest it is a long-lasting effect. It also doesn't depend on pre-existing health problems.”

The deficits are not minor either – those who had previously been on a ventilator had a deficit of 0.47, while those without a ventilator had a deficit of 0.27. To put that in perspective, the average deficit experienced by stroke patients is 0.24 (the higher the deficit, the more cognitive issues the patient has). Furthermore, the deficit was even larger than the average person that reported learning difficulties (0.38).

The most pronounced deficits in COVID-19 patients were those of reasoning, problem-solving, spatial planning, and target detection, aligning with previous reports of "brain fog".  

As with any self-reported data, interpreting the results needs to be carried out with caution. Sampling bias could play a role (although the authors did their best to mitigate this), and there are many other factors that may play into neurological assessments. However, the study appears to highlight a significant and lasting impact on patients of all ages, and calls for substantial more investigation of those that now live with long COVID.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 2 of 109
This is all part of the elitist plot to show that Covid will be around forever and we should adhere to the policies. It is a power play to scare the populace.

One wonders how many have died of car crashes, heart disease, and cancer in the past year?
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 3 of 109
Yea, everything is a conspiracy plot against us. They are all out to get us. I better start reading Mike Adams' conspiracy plots again.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 4 of 109
You must obey the directives and make sure you have your papers. LOL
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 5 of 109
You believe what you want to believe, and I'll do the same. To me, a lot of it is Fake News, on both sides of the Covid/vaccination debate. I like to read multiple sources, especially from other countries that aren't in this political civil war. That report was out of England and was shown on CBS News. BTW, I read where the Delta variant is suddenly declining in England.

https://www.aol.com/news/u-k-delta-wave-seems-090008274.html

Quote: 
After surging for months because of the hypercontagious Delta variant, COVID-19 cases in the United Kingdom are rapidly plummeting, raising the question of whether America’s Delta wave could also peak sooner than expected.

“In the United Kingdom … cases are clearly coming down at this point,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, the former Food and Drug Administration commissioner, told CNBC on Monday. “If the U.K. is turning the corner, it’s a pretty good indication that maybe we’re further into this than we think, and maybe we’re two or three weeks away from starting to see our own plateau here in the United States.”
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 6 of 109
Unquestionably, one cannot believe anything they hear or read, and half of what you see. 

One stat I notice is how many deaths are there from the obviously easily spread Delta Virus?
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 7 of 109
There are a lot of deaths related to the Delta variant, but maybe not as much as the vaccinated don't get as bad of cases. From the CDC (who I know you don't trust):

TOTAL CASES

+86,058 New Cases

7 DAY DEATH RATE PER 100,000

TOTAL DEATHS

+397 New Deaths

CDC | Data as of: July 29, 2021 12:29 PM ET. Posted: July 29, 2021 1:43 PM ET

I read a good article in the Buffalo News today from an editor who questions how safe it is to go into stores and shop, with hardly anyone wearing masks any more. This includes the unvaccinated and those who are asymptomatic.

Quote: 
It’s risky enough just doing essential stuff like grocery shopping. Eyeballing the supermarket crowd, my guess is no more than about 10% of the people in stores are masked – and that’s being generous. With Western New York rates of the fully vaccinated hovering around 50% or less, there’s no way in the world the rest of the people roaming the aisles without masks have all gotten shots.

But there they are, exhaling droplets all over the place.

If businesses want customers like me to return – credit cards or cash in hand – they’ll make sure we can do so safely, without being subjected to those who think they have a constitutional license to spread deadly disease. I’ve searched the Bill of Rights, and nowhere does it mention the right to infect others.

To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 8 of 109
I wear a mask in the local Stop and Shop out of respect for the workers who also wear masks. They were there throughout the pandemic and have my ultimate respect.

It is not that I do not trust the CDC. I do not know what to believe to be candid.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 9 of 109
Yea, the CDC has not been steadfast in their guidance throughout the pandemic. It seems the scientists can't get a real handle on this new Delta variant. Now they say it's as contagious as chicken pox.

https://www.aol.com/news/1-cdc-internal-report-says-061723248-120349874.html

Quote: 
July 30 (Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has described the Delta variant of the coronavirus as being as transmissible as chickenpox and cautioned it could cause severe disease, the Washington Post said, citing an internal CDC document. 

The Delta variant is more transmissible than the SARS-CoV-2 ancestral strain as well as the viruses that cause MERS, SARS, Ebola, the common cold, the seasonal flu and smallpox, the report said. It said it was as transmissible as chickenpox.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 10 of 109
What concerns me is the recent outbreak in Provincetown.

"The report cited the COVID-19 Provincetown outbreak during the July 4 weekend, where more than 900 people were infected with COVID-19 as of Friday, some with the delta variant. Among those living in Massachusetts, 74% of them were fully vaccinated, yet officials said the majority reported mild symptoms of the disease. Seven people were hospitalized."

So many were vaccinated yet got it. Good news is it is not as deadly as the other strains.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 11 of 109
I read the same thing today in the Buffalo News and was going to post that. The article stated that fully vaccinated people may spread Covid.

It looks as if the CDC got this all wrong again! I think they were premature in declaring that fully vaccinated people are safe to go without masks indoors. Now they are changing their tune again:

Quote: 
The CDC recommend that vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the delta variant is fueling infection surges. The authors said the findings suggest that the CDC's mask guidance should be expanded to include the entire country, even outside of hot spots.
Maybe you are right. We can't trust anything that comes out of the CDC. First don't wear masks, then force people to wear masks, then declare it's safe for fully vaccinated to drop the masks completely. Now they say put the masks back on.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 12 of 109
I just read some more disturbing news about the "Breakthrough" cases. All along, the CDC was saying those were rare and nothing to be concerned about. Well, they are WRONG again! According to the article below, a minimum of 125,000 fully vaccinated Americans have tested positive for Covid and 1,400 of those have died.

https://www.aol.com/news/breakthrough-covid-cases-least-125-194200097.html

Breakthrough Covid cases: Data shows how many vaccinated Americans have tested positive

WASHINGTON — At least 125,000 fully vaccinated Americans have tested positive for Covid and 1,400 of those have died, according to data collected.

The 125,682 "breakthrough" cases in 38 states found represent less than .08 percent of the 164.2 million-plus people who have been fully vaccinated since January, or about one in every 1,300. The number of cases and deaths among the vaccinated is very small compared to the number among the unvaccinated. A former Biden adviser on Covid estimated that 98 to 99 percent of deaths are among the unvaccinated.

But the total number of breakthrough cases is likely higher than 125,683, since nine states, including Pennsylvania and Missouri, did not provide any information, while 11, like Covid hotspot Florida, did not provide death and hospitalization totals. Four states gave death and hospitalization numbers, but not the full tally of cases.

And vaccinated adults who have breakthrough cases but show no symptoms could be missing from the data altogether, say officials.

Breakthrough cases among the elderly were more likely to be serious, according to available data. In Washington state, 27 of the 52 people who died were known to be associated with long-term care facilities, according to state information. In Louisiana, the median age of those with severe outcomes was 73.

For other states that publish data like Utah, it's clear breakthrough cases have accelerated in the past two months. In Utah on June 2, 2021, just 27 or 8 percent of the 312 new cases in the state were breakthrough cases. As of July 26 there were 519 new cases and almost 20 percent or 94 were breakthroughs, according to state data.

To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 13 of 109
I do agree with you about one thing. We can only control what we as citizens can control. I am going to wear a mask whenever I go out from now on. After all, it was worked so far for me. Thankfully, I got a shitload of masks from my kids wedding. They gave them out as gifts.... LOL

They are black and have "Laura and Steve" in gold lettering of course.... LOL
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 14 of 109
I have two boxes of KN-95 masks, lots of surgical masks and quite a few cloth masks for final covering. When they told us it was safe to go maskless, I thought those masks would not be getting any use. I was wrong there.

I will still only wear a mask outdoors if I'm in a crowded area. Otherwise, I feel it is safe to be outdoors without a mask, especially if there's at least a slight breeze out. Indoors, I'm masking up!
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 15 of 109
The way things are going, you are gonna need masks for the rest of your existence..... LOL
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 16 of 109
I think you said it or it was in a Bee article, that we will be forced to wear masks when we are buried.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 17 of 109
Masks forever!

. Consider this list from Jim Treacher

1. Absolutely do not wear a mask
  2. You must, must, must wear a mask or you’re killing Grandma
  3. Don’t leave the house or you’re killing Grandma
  4. If you can’t avoid leaving the house, stay at least six feet away from any other human being you see or you’re killing Grandma
  5. Wash your hands 20 times a day
  6. Do not touch your face or anything else, ever
  7. Get vaccinated so you don’t have to wear a mask
  8. You have to wear a mask even if you’re vaccinated
  9. When the above rules change, and then change back, and then change back again, shut up about it or you’re a stupid MAGA-head
  10. Don’t forget to vote Democrat!
Fyi. They say Boris Johnson has not been the same in the head since he had Covid. 
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 18 of 109
I just ordered a NASA space suit from Amazon! LOL

To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 19 of 109
Better get some depends while they are on sale as well.... LOL
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 20 of 109
That space suit has an emergency back door hatch, so I'm good to go. LOL