Masks are effective against Covid

To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 1 of 513
This is probably the hottest topic in America today. To mask or unmask? Are mask mandates really necessary?

I actually think that the mask mandates are going too far and are a step towards a totalitarian state. People should have a choice whether they want to wear a mask. However, common sense should prevail and if people still don't think masks should be worn, they should seriously study the effectiveness of masks and also the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Then the people who are resisting masks and the vaccine can make the choice on whether they want to risk their health by going out in public maskless and unvaccinated.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/pandemic-lessons-maybe-you-don-t-like-masks-but-do-they-work-spoiler-alert-they/article_9e353208-5770-11ec-af10-cb002da2b668.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Maybe you don’t like masks – but do they work? (Spoiler alert: They do)

Masking mandates like the one that exists for public places in Erie County stoke loud opposition, often because people don’t like to be told what to do. They want choice.

But if we set aside policies and isolate science, what is the right choice? In a world where a virus spreads easily and hurts or kills many, do masks help?

The short answer: without question.

For this installment of Pandemic Lessons, we spoke with infectious disease doctors who have long used masks to contain disease, one of the world’s leading researchers on airborne viruses, and the co-author of a just-published study on the effectiveness of face coverings.

Straight up: Do masks work?

They do. But masks don't eliminate Covid-19. Variations in type of mask and how well and often people wear them make a big difference. For the same reasons, the effectiveness of masking is difficult – though not impossible – to study.

But if you start with the basics, and look at the history of the medical field, then yes, masking is an effective way to slow spread.

Infectious disease physicians – along with other doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists – have long used masking in hospitals when a patient arrives with a highly transmissible virus. Long before anyone knew of Covid-19, medical professionals were donning N95 masks when a patient arrived with tuberculosis, a respiratory illness spread through coughing and sneezing. When treating influenza, surgical masks – which today are common everywhere from grocery stores to airplanes – were frequently used.

Simple interventions like those have largely prevented outbreaks of respiratory viruses in hospitals over the years. If they work for medical professionals whose job is to get up close with sick people, won’t they generally work for the rest of us?

“If you both stuff the virus if you’re infectious, and you block the virus if you’re trying not to get infected, it’s going to work, right?” said Dr. Thomas Russo, chief of infectious disease at the University at Buffalo’s Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. “You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.”

But being an airborne-particles expert helps, and we reached out to one.

“There’s more and more evidence accumulating that they are at least partially protective,” said Linsey Marr, a professor at Virginia Tech who has a Ph.D. in environmental engineering and specializes in the transmission of infectious diseases through aerosols. That makes her a rockstar-level expert in the world of Covid-19 transmission.

“Masks are effective, but they are not 100% effective,” Marr said. “No one intervention that we have is 100% effective.”

Marr’s advice: Stop thinking in terms of “safe” and “unsafe” – and add an “er” by combining masking with vaccination, good ventilation and air filtration, and avoiding packed crowds – especially when spread is high, as it is in Western New York.

“What we can do is make things safer,” Marr said, “and masks make things safer.”

People who are skeptical about masks will point out that virus particles are so small that they can probably slip through the mask itself. True?

No.

First, a caveat: The quality of your face covering matters a lot, and while any barrier is better than none, a thin gaiter or bandana is likely to do a lot less good than a multilayered mask. At the opposite end of that spectrum are N95s (and KN95s and similar respirator masks), which are widely considered effective.

Most people, however, are wearing a mask that falls between those two styles – and you don’t have to look far to find someone insisting that microscopic virus particles will slip right through a surgical mask.

Again, it’s not that simple.

“It really will filter out the virus,” Marr said, explaining that the material used to make such masks is like stacking hundreds of chain-link fences unaligned, essentially creating a maze of obstacles a virus particle would have to navigate.

“There are several other physical processes at work that help trap the particles in there,” she said. “There are many different layers.”

Is there proof that masking works?

Yes. Researchers from Stanford University and Yale University conducted a study, which is peer-reviewed and was published this month in Science magazine. The researchers tracked about 350,000 people from 600 villages in rural Bangladesh, giving them masks and providing education on their use. Over the eight-week period of study, they found that using surgical masks reduced Covid-19 infections by 11% across the population. For people older than 60, infections were reduced by 35%.

And that’s with only “less than half of the population wearing masks,” said Dr. Ashley Styczynski, an infectious disease fellow at Stanford and one of the study co-authors.

In an email with The News, Styczynski noted the importance of role modeling in encouraging people to wear masks, and acknowledged, “In South Asia masking is not as politically charged as in the U.S.”

But the facts are clear: Masking does reduce infections.

“Even if you can't get everyone on board,” Styczynski said, “more masking is always a win.”
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 2 of 513
Total Bullshit.. I mentioned a review of this study and they had total diff results. 

Now Reading Pandemia by Alex Berenson. The misrepresentation by the media all along is breathtaking.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 3 of 513
To each their own. I'll continue wearing the masks and you have your choice to not wear them.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 4 of 513
No. People should do what they want. Just remember, it is all based on nothing. 
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 5 of 513
Well, if it's based on nothing, why are the hospitals overflowing with Covid patients and why are people dying?? Just today, nine people in Erie County died. I guess some think that this is all fake news and there isn't a Covid virus at all.

Quote: 

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/covid-19-in-western-new-york-the-latest-statistics/article_261f0820-dcb5-11ea-9ade-d3e35b30860b.html

More than 192,800 Western New Yorkers have contracted Covid-19 since March 2020 and 3,015 have died of it.
Tell the families of the 3,015 people who died that they didn't have Covid, that they died from something else.
EDITED: 8 Dec 2021 19:26 by RAZZMAN
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 6 of 513

I believe nothing the CDC, Government, or media says. Am reading Pandemia by Alex Berenson. This whole thing is one big power play. Look how they jumped to hype Omicron. These viruses over time get weaker as it did in 1918. What is not getting weaker is the desire of power by the pols. Why aren't there people screaming about Heart disease?

Average daily deaths in the United States from COVID-19 (June 2021) and other leading causes (2021)  

1. Heart Disease 2,101
2. Cancer 1,614
3. Accidents 474
4. Stroke 451
5. Chronic lower respiratory disease 377
6. Alzheimer disease 351
7. COVID 342
8. Diabetes 285
9. Other diseases of the respiratory system 182
10. Renal failure 148
11. Influenza and pneumonia 115

To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 7 of 513
Just like you, I don't believe the facts you just presented. Every news media has their own agenda and can slant the figures any way they want.

I do know that people are dying from Covid and the hospitals are now full capacity here. It wouldn't be that way if Covid didn't happen.
EDITED: 9 Dec 2021 10:56 by RAZZMAN
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 8 of 513
Good. We can agree to disagree. For each study, there is one with an opposite opinion. Such is life.

My entire point about those numbers is to get a wider perspective. Right now all the media can discuss is Covid. Personally, I think cancer is overtime etc more deadly than any of the variants.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 9 of 513
You're probably right about cancer. You'd think that after all these years and the research done on cancer and all the funds and charity for the research, they would have found some cure by now.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 10 of 513
Yup. It is big business down here with Sloan Kettering etc. Some improvements have been made but not enough in my book.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 11 of 513
The cancer industry is BIG BUSINESS. That industry does not want a cure. It will destroy their business. They can pretend they are doing great research, but there will never be a cure. Money is the biggest factor in preventing any serious research to defeat cancer.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 12 of 513
Somehow I think the same thing is going on to a certain extend with the Covid. Many businesses do not want it ever to go away.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 13 of 513
You could be right there also. I do know that nurses and doctors have worn N95 masks for years with success. I can't get my hands on those, but the KN95 masks are the next best bet....for me anyway.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 14 of 513
I just finished Pandemia by Alex Berenson. He lays out the whole covid thing and it is written really well. He also have written thriller novels which are quite good.

He makes a good point based on documented facts. "Why does the gov go after the non vaccinated if the vaccines actually work?" Clearly they do not and only last for months at a time. The Vaccine really helps you from dying and does not prevent transmission or getting it again.

The vaccines actually have caused the variants to develop. The virus adapts and as the vaccines modify the immune systems, the virus adjusts and thus a new variant.

When Pfizer and Moderna did the initial trials of 70,000; none were under the age of 65. The most susceptible are elderly who have pre-existing conditions or are obese.

The boosters have not been trialed. 

The only stat to pay attention is "hospitalizations". Deaths info is uneven and depends on reporting by hospitals etc which is uneven.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 15 of 513
Hospitalizations have gone thru the roof here in WNY and the rest of the state. Deaths are on the increase too. As I said, I will continue doing what I have been doing to try to prevent getting sick. With my asthma, I can't afford to get Covid.
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 16 of 513
True. But you are vaccinated so your chances are good. 

If vaccinations work, why the continuing surges? Does the hospital publish % of vax/vs non vax? They never will because probably it is 50% or so. People would lose faith in the vax and that cannot happen.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 17 of 513
I did see some report about Omicron and how around 75% who got it were fully vaccinated. What's up with that??
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 18 of 513
The vaccine obviously does not protect us from new variants. How could they as they were developed and tested prior to the new variant coming into the world.
To: Carl (SPARTACUS) 19 of 513
They do say that the booster is the best protection against the Omicron variant. Of course they will say that. Best protection is to stay inside your house your entire life. LOL
To: Razz (RAZZMAN) 20 of 513
Yes Dr. Razz. You are correct. But logically, how can they say it protects against something that they never tested? And the variant came after the boosters original shots were developed. 

The one thing that is certain is that no matter what variant, Pfizer will want you to get a shot.